Welcome to my Singapore Youth Olympic Games site.

Become A YOG Sports Presenter Like Mark Richmond

source: Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games.

Mark Richmond is now the Senior Head for Sports Presentation in Sports and Venue Division.

Here’s Mark to tell us how he became one of the most sought after sports presenters in Singapore.

HOW IT ALL BEGAN

It all started when Mark was playing football.

“When I was playing soccer, I would say something like - And there goes Mark Richmond weaving his way through his defenders, and oh, he scores!” Then one day, Mark’s father, the one and only radio “Big Brother” Brian Richmond, asked Mark to have a go at sports commentary for television.

HIS FIRST SPORTS PRESENTATION

Mark arrived at the National Stadium in his school uniform and sat down while his father put on his headphones and said, “Go!”

Mark was jittery at his first attempt. “The only commentaries I ever did all consisted of the name ‘Mark Richmond’! There was no ‘Mark Richmond’ in the line-up!” said Mark. But things went on smoothly and it grew from that first experience. Mark started helping his father more often and he became very comfortable in front of a camera.

TRYING NOT TO BE LIKE HIS DAD

“My bosses had wanted me to change my name to ‘Marky Sparks’ to shake off my Dad’s shadow.“

But Mark refused to because he wanted to keep his father’s legacy. “I want people to remember how great my Dad was.”

Today, Mark is the one of the most sought-after presenters for major sporting events, especially since he has a wealth of experience, covering the Barcelona, Sydney, Athens and Beijing Olympic Games and the SEA Games from 1993 to 2001.

THE CHALLENGE OF BEING A SPORTS PRESENTER

“It’s all very exciting, especially when you are going ‘live’ on-air in three seconds and you have no script in front of you,” said Mark. He sometimes just has to rely on his vast knowledge of sports. ”At one of the SEA Games, this guy came in with the line-up of starting swimmers after I was done commenting about the swimming event. I was like, I’m done! I based everything according to my experience with the previous SEA Games.”

TIPS FOR ASPIRING SPORTS PRESENTERS

“It’s a job that requires passion and a lot of homework. You must also be able to react on the spot. Most importantly, you must speak with confidence. If you don’t, your voice does not project well,” advised Mark.

WHY MARK JOINED SYOGOC

He sees it as a chance to share his experience and learn something new. He had initially hesitated to take up the job but his wife, Beatrice convinced him otherwise.

“She said that I’d be unhappy if someone else took the position because he might not have the same knowledge and passion I have for sports. That’s when I decided I’ll take up the job.”

You can be a Sports Presenter for the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games too.

Other visitors also read these posts:

1. Youth Olympic Games Sports

2. Youth Olympic Games Babes

3. Youth Olympic Games CAN! Carnival

4. Places To See and Visit In Singapore (My Other Blog)

0 spectator(s)

Post a Comment